Physician Coaching and Consulting
Most enter the medical field because they want a challenging yet fulfilling career helping people. Doctors, nurses and healthcare administrators support individual and community health. As anyone in medicine knows, however, the job can often become encumbered with frustrations that sap one’s love for the profession and make it harder to flourish. Physician coaching can help if you are:
- Feeling exhausted and questioning whether you should stay in the medical position you worked so hard to attain.
- Finding it difficult to balance the demands of your job and lead a fulfilling life outside of work.
- In love with your job and wanting to advance your career, but aren’t sure how to start or what to do next.
- Struggling to communicate effectively with patients or colleagues.
- Finding yourself in a leadership position – or are considering accepting one – for which you need to develop a new set of skills.
- Just feeling that something isn’t quite “right” in your relationship with work and you need someone to help you think and talk through it.
Whether you work at a hospital or a small clinic, have just taken on your first job after residency or run your own practice, physician coaching provides a confidential, structured space in which to gain insight into difficult questions, sort through doubts and discover new ideas and aspirations.
Self-knowledge is required to reach your potential as a practitioner, and to overcome the challenges of practice that can drain the joy from your work. This is the same for individuals at any stage of their career. The more you understand who you are and what you bring, the better you can use your natural problem-solving, communication and leadership abilities.
Why Seek Physician Coaching?
By participating in experienced, thoughtful coaching, you can gain personal insight and develop tools and strategies that align with and support who you are. With this knowledge, you will grow as a wise, conscious medical professional and leader who responds confidently to the challenges that arise in your professional and personal life. Job knowledge and skills are important, but they are often overemphasized during professional training to the detriment of personal growth. Gaining self-knowledge enables you to apply your learning and experience in thoughtful and effective ways.
Clients seek physician coaching with Thalia for needs that include:
- Choosing and navigating career paths
- Resolving ethical dilemmas
- Building confidence
- Finding work-life balance
- Succeeding in a new leadership position
- Sharpening dispute-resolution skills
- Managing conflict at work
- Maintaining effective organization and time-management with high patient volume
- Preventing and recovering from burnout
What to Expect as a Client
The initial consultation session is an opportunity to discuss your needs and how we can best support you. Early in the process, our clients complete an Enneagram questionnaire. The Enneagram is a typological, teaching and self-development tool used in a variety of fields including business, medicine, conflict resolution and psychology. Thalia uses it as an assessment framework to provide a starting point for expanding self-awareness.
In Thalia’s approach to mentoring and coaching, there is no preconceived agenda for each meeting. Instead, coaches respond to client needs in the moment and as they evolve between sessions. Throughout the physician coaching process, Thalia aims to create the conditions in which you can gain personal insight and integrate your new awareness into your broader personal and professional goals.